Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Friday cleared that there will be no imposition of lockdown in the national capital. He added that the ongoing wave of the COVID-19 pandemic in the Capital is not as serious as the previous waves.
The statement comes after the Chief Minister held an emergency meeting with Health Minister Satyendar Jain and other officials, over increasing COVID-19 cases at his residence today.
“We will be reviewing the situation. In the future, if the need for a lockdown arises, I will consult before taking any such decision,” the Chief Minister said, adding that though it is being considered the second wave in the country, it is the fourth wave for Delhi.
3,583 new cases have been reported in Delhi in the last 24 hours. On Thursday, Delhi reported 2,790 new COVID-19 cases and nine deaths, taking its active case tally over the 10,000-mark and its death toll to 11,036.
Terming the rapidly rising number of cases a cause for concern, Arvind Kejriwal said the present wave of COVID-19 is ‘less severe than previous ones’.
“There are fewer ICU admissions at present in comparison to October last year. Back then, Delhi was reporting 40 COVID-19 deaths a day but today it is down to 10,” he said.
CM Kejriwal emphasized on three points – testing, tracking, isolating and also urged everyone with folded hands to wear masks.
He also urged the Centre to open vaccination for all, removing the present clause of 45 years and above.
The government has also asked schools in the Capital to continue classes of the new academic year online, instead of calling students to schools.